Document Type : Review article
Department of Chemistry, Payame Noor University, P.O. Box 19395-3697 Tehran, Iran
Talae Sabz Tuba Pharmaceutical, Tehran, Iran; School of Traditional Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Chemistry, Kazerun Branch, Islamic Azad University, Kazerun, Iran
In this study, curcuma zedoaria extract was investigated as a mild steel (MS) corrosion inhibitor in 0.5 M H2SO4 solution by conventional methods of weight loss (WL), electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) and polarization at 25 °C. The highest percentage of inhibition was obtained for the concentration of 0.5 g/l of curcuma zedoaria extract. The results of polarization method showed that curcuma zedoaria extract acts as a mixed inhibitor. Examination of MS immersion time by weight loss method showed that with increasing immersion time, the inhibitory effect decreases in low concentrations of curcuma zedoaria extract but in higher concentrations of curcuma zedoaria extract (concentration 1.0 g/L), the inhibitory effect remains almost constant over time. The effect of temperature on the performance of curcuma zedoaria extract by electrochemical polarization method in the temperature range of 35-65 °C shows a decrease in inhibition percentage with increasing temperature. Adsorption of curcuma zedoaria extract molecules on the surface of MS at all studied temperatures follows the Langmuir adsorption isotherm. Using the results of kinetic and thermodynamic calculations, the adsorption of molecules of curcuma zedoaria extract on the surface of MS physical adsorption type was observed.
- C. Murulana, M.M. Kabanda, E.E. Ebenso, Investigation of the adsorption characteristics of some selected sulphonamide derivatives as corrosion inhibitors at mild steel/hydrochloric acid interface: Experimental, quantum chemical and QSAR studies, J. Mol. Liq. 215 (2016) 763–779. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2015.12.095.
- Gajek, T. Zakroczymski, V. Romanchuk, P. Topilnytsky, Protective properties and spectral analysis of nitrogen-and oxygen-containing corrosion inhibitors for oil equipment, Chem. Chem. Technol. . 6 (2012) 209–217. doi:https://doi.org/10.23939/chcht06.02.209.
- Zhang, H.-J. Li, M. Wang, L.-J. Wang, Q. Pan, X. Ji, Y. Qin, Y.-C. Wu, Tetrahydroacridines as corrosion inhibitor for X80 steel corrosion in simulated acidic oilfield water, J. Mol. Liq. 293 (2019) 111478. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2019.111478.
- K. Gupta, M. Malviya, K.R. Ansari, H. Lgaz, D.S. Chauhan, M.A. Quraishi, Functionalized graphene oxide as a new generation corrosion inhibitor for industrial pickling process: DFT and experimental approach, Mater. Chem. Phys. 236 (2019) 121727. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2019.121727.
- N. Ayukayeva, G.I. Boiko, N.P. Lyubchenko, R.G. Sarmurzina, R.F. Mukhamedova, U.S. Karabalin, S.A. Dergunov, Polyoxyethylene sorbitan trioleate surfactant as an effective corrosion inhibitor for carbon steel protection, Colloids Surfaces A Physicochem. Eng. Asp. 579 (2019) 123636. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2019.123636.
- Shamsa, R. Barker, Y. Hua, E. Barmatov, T.L. Hughes, A. Neville, Performance evaluation of an imidazoline corrosion inhibitor in a CO2-saturated environment with emphasis on localised corrosion, Corros. Sci. 176 (2020) 108916. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2020.108916.
- Singh, K.R. Ansari, D.S. Chauhan, M.A. Quraishi, H. Lgaz, I.-M. Chung, Comprehensive investigation of steel corrosion inhibition at macro/micro level by ecofriendly green corrosion inhibitor in 15% HCl medium, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 560 (2020) 225–236. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2019.10.04.
- S. Chauhan, K.E.L. Mouaden, M.A. Quraishi, L. Bazzi, Aminotriazolethiol-functionalized chitosan as a macromolecule-based bioinspired corrosion inhibitor for surface protection of stainless steel in 3.5% NaCl, Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 152 (2020) 234–241. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2020.02.283.
- Ma, Y. Qiang, W. Zhao, Designing novel organic inhibitor loaded MgAl-LDHs nanocontainer for enhanced corrosion resistance, Chem. Eng. J. 408 (2021) 127367. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2020.12736.
- Abdallah, A. Fawzy, M. Alfakeer, H.M. Altass, Expired azithromycin and roxithromycin drugs as environmentally friendly inhibitors for mild steel corrosion in H2SO4 solutions, Green Chem. Lett. Rev. 14 (2021) 509–518. doi:10.1080/17518253.2021.1944329.
- Al-Akhras, Y. Mashaqbeh, Potential use of eucalyptus leaves as green corrosion inhibitor of steel reinforcement, J. Build. Eng. 35 (2021) 101848. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2020.101848.
- Aourabi, M. Driouch, M. Sfaira, F. Mahjoubi, B. Hammouti, C. Verma, E.E. Ebenso, L. Guo, Phenolic fraction of Ammi visnaga extract as environmentally friendly antioxidant and corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acidic medium, J. Mol. Liq. 323 (2021) 114950. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2020.114950.
- A. El-Zekred, A.M. Nofal, K. Shalabi, A.S. Fouda, Ficus carica extract as environmentally friendly inhibitor for the corrosion of L-80 carbon steel in 0.5 M H2SO4 media, J. Indian Chem. Soc. 98 (2021) 100128. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jics.2021.100128.
- Fernine, E. Ech-chihbi, N. Arrousse, F. El Hajjaji, F. Bousraf, M. Ebn Touhami, Z. Rais, M. Taleb, Ocimum basilicium seeds extract as an environmentally friendly antioxidant and corrosion inhibitor for aluminium alloy 2024 -T3 corrosion in 3 wt% NaCl medium, Colloids Surfaces A Physicochem. Eng. Asp. 627 (2021) 127232. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2021.127232.
- Nawaz, R.A. Shakoor, R. Kahraman, M.F. Montemor, Cerium oxide loaded with Gum Arabic as environmentally friendly anti-corrosion additive for protection of coated steel, Mater. Des. 198 (2021) 109361. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2020.109361.
- Qiang, L. Guo, H. Li, X. Lan, Fabrication of environmentally friendly Losartan potassium film for corrosion inhibition of mild steel in HCl medium, Chem. Eng. J. 406 (2021) 126863. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2020.12686.
- Tan, S. Zhang, X. Cao, A. Fu, L. Guo, R. Marzouki, W. Li, Insight into the anti-corrosion performance of two food flavors as eco-friendly and ultra-high performance inhibitors for copper in sulfuric acid medium, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 609 (2022) 838–851. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2021.11.08.
- Udayappan, A. Veawab, Performance analysis of methionine as an environmentally friendly corrosion inhibitor for carbon steel in the amine based carbon capture process, Int. J. Greenh. Gas Control. 114 (2022) 103565. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2021.103565.
- Zheng, Y. Gao, H. Li, M. Yan, J. Zhao, Z. Liu, Chitosan-acrylic acid-polysuccinimide terpolymer as environmentally friendly scale and corrosion inhibitor in artificial seawater, Desalination. 520 (2021) 115367. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2021.115367.
- Abdallah, H.M. Altass, B.A. Al Jahdaly, M.M. Salem, Some natural aqueous extracts of plants as green inhibitor for carbon steel corrosion in 0.5 M sulfuric acid, Green Chem. Lett. Rev. 11 (2018) 189–196. doi:10.1080/17518253.2018.1458161.
- H. Abdellattif, S.H. Alrefaee, O. Dagdag, C. Verma, M.A. Quraishi, Calotropis procera extract as an environmental friendly corrosion Inhibitor: Computational demonstrations, J. Mol. Liq. 337 (2021) 116954. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2021.116954.
- S. Fouda, O.A. Mohamed, H.M. Elabbasy, Ferula hermonis Plant Extract as Safe Corrosion Inhibitor for Zinc in Hydrochloric Acid Solution, J. Bio- Tribo-Corrosion. 7 (2021) 135. doi:10.1007/s40735-021-00570-z.
- Haldhar, D. Prasad, N. Mandal, F. Benhiba, I. Bahadur, O. Dagdag, Anticorrosive properties of a green and sustainable inhibitor from leaves extract of Cannabis sativa plant: Experimental and theoretical approach, Colloids Surfaces A Physicochem. Eng. Asp. 614 (2021) 126211. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2021.126211.
- Jmiai, A. Tara, S. El Issami, M. Hilali, O. Jbara, L. Bazzi, A new trend in corrosion protection of copper in acidic medium by using Jujube shell extract as an effective green and environmentally safe corrosion inhibitor: Experimental, quantum chemistry approach and Monte Carlo simulation study, J. Mol. Liq. 322 (2021) 114509. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2020.114509.
- Li, S. Zhang, Y. Qiang, Corrosion retardation effect of a green cauliflower extract on copper in H2SO4 solution: Electrochemical and theoretical explorations, J. Mol. Liq. 321 (2021) 114450. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2020.114450.
- Parthipan, L. Cheng, A. Rajasekar, Glycyrrhiza glabra extract as an eco-friendly inhibitor for microbiologically influenced corrosion of API 5LX carbon steel in oil well produced water environments, J. Mol. Liq. 333 (2021) 115952. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2021.115952.
- Salmasifar, M. Edraki, E. Alibakhshi, B. Ramezanzadeh, G. Bahlakeh, Combined electrochemical/surface investigations and computer modeling of the aquatic Artichoke extract molecules corrosion inhibition properties on the mild steel surface immersed in the acidic medium, J. Mol. Liq. 327 (2021) 114856. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2020.114856.
- Vorobyova, M. Skiba, Peach Pomace Extract as Efficient Sustainable Inhibitor for Carbon Steel Against Chloride-Induced Corrosion, J. Bio- Tribo-Corrosion. 7 (2020) 11. doi:10.1007/s40735-020-00450-y.
- Gharge, S.I. Hiremath, P. Kagawad, K. Jivaje, M.S. Palled, S.S. Suryawanshi, Curcuma zedoaria Rosc (Zingiberaceae): a review on its chemical, pharmacological and biological activities, Futur. J. Pharm. Sci. 7 (2021) 166. doi:10.1186/s43094-021-00316-1.
- Shehna, S. Sreelekshmi, P.R. Remani, G. Padmaja, S. Lakshmi, Anti-cancer, anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties of an active fraction isolated from Curcuma zedoaria rhizomes, Phytomedicine Plus. 2 (2022) 100195. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phyplu.2021.100195.
- S. Senathilake, E.H. Karunanayake, S.R. Samarakoon, K.H. Tennekoon, E.D. de Silva, Rhizome extracts of Curcuma zedoaria Rosc induce caspase dependant apoptosis via generation of reactive oxygen species in filarial parasite Setaria digitata in vitro, Exp. Parasitol. 167 (2016) 50–60. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exppara.2016.05.002.
- Chun-Bin, Y. Yi, W. Qin-Yi, L. Yang, Y. Jing-Ze, X. Hai-Jing, Z. Si-Qi, H. Jiong, W. Jing, L. Fei-Yu, Y. Jin-Yuan, Y. Jia-Li, Z.-S. Yang, The main active components of Curcuma zedoaria reduces collagen deposition in human lung fibroblast via autophagy, Mol. Immunol. 124 (2020) 109–116. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molimm.2020.05.017.
- Zhu, J. Fan, H. Huang, L. Guo, M. Zhu, X. Zheng, I.B. Obot, Inhibitive effect of different solvent fractions of bamboo shoots extract on the corrosion of mild steel in 0.5 mol/L H2SO4 solution, J. Mol. Struct. 1243 (2021) 130852. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2021.130852.