Document Type : Full research article
Department of Chemistry, Payame Noor University 19395-4697 Tehran, Iran
In this study, the acid dissociation constants (pKa) of three indicators, bromocresol green, phenolphthalein and methyl orange, were determined by scanning the solution of indicators and deposited pH paper in these solutions (in each step of color-changing solution) and then chemometrics method. These methods are simple, fast, and inexpensive. For this reason, first, the vessels containing the indicator solution and pH paper (in each step of color-changing solution) were scanned by the scanner, and then the images of sample solutions and pH papers were transferred to a computer using Microsoft Photo Editor (Microsoft XP). RGB values were measured, in each pixel, with the image processing tool box of MATLAB. In MATLAB (2013) software, a novel program was written based on RGB values, for calculating pKa indicators. The agreement between obtained pKa by this method and values reported in the literature demonstrates the utility of the method here used.
- Roses and E. Bosch, Inﬂuence of Mobile phase acid–base equilibria on the Chromatographic Behaviour of Protolytic Compounds. J. Chromatogr. A. 982 (2002) 1–30.
- S. Kristine and C.S. George, Theoretical Calculations of Acid Dissociation Constant:a review article. Annu. Rep. Comput. Chem. 6 (2010) 113-38.
- A. Aktas, S. Nurullah and P. Guzide, Spectrometric Determination of pKa Values for some Phenolic Compounds in Acetonitrile-water mixture. Acta Chim. Slov. 53 (2006) 214-8.
- Niazi, Y. Ateesa, G. Jahanbakhsh, M. Kubista, A. Sheyda and M. Alikhah Spectrophotometrc Determination of the Dissociation Constant of Fluorescein in Micellar Media. Croat. Chem. Acta 82 (2009) 753–9. https://hrcak.srce.hr/45615
- Shalaeva, J. Kenseth, F. Lombardo and A. Bastin, Measurement of Dissociation Constants (pKa Values) of Organic Compounds by Multiplexed Capillary Electrophoresis Using Aqueous and Cosolvent buffers. J. Pharm. Sci. 97 (2008) 2581-2606. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.21287
- Zarei, M. Atabati and E. Abdinasab Spectrophotometric Determination of Conditional Acidity Constant of Some Sulfonephthalein Dyes as a Function of Anionic, Neutral and Cationic Surfactants Concentrations Using Rank Annihilation Factor Analysis. Eurasian J. Anal. Chem. 4 (2009) 314-27.
- F. Fathalla and S.N. Khattab, Spectrophotometric Determination of pKa’s of 1-Hydroxybenzotriazole and Oxime Derivatives in 95% Acetonitrile-Water. J. Chem. Soc. Pak. 33 (2011) 324-32.
- Król, M. Wrona, C.S. Pageand P.A. Bates, Macroscopic pKa Calculations for Fluorescein and Its Derivatives, J. Chem. Theory Comput. 2 (2006) 1520-9. https://doi.org/10.1021/ct600235y
- K. Chandrul and B. Srivastava, A Process of Method Development: A Chromatographic Approach, J. Chem. Pharm. Res. 2 (2010) 519-45.
- Y. Tam, M. Hadley and W. Patterson, Multiwavelength Spectrophotometric Determination of Acid Dissociation Constants Part IV. Water-Insoluble Pyridine Derivatives, Talanta. 49 (1999) 539-46.
- Hadjeb and D. Barkat. Determination of acid dissociation constants of some substituted salicylideneanilines by spectroscopy application of the hammett relation, Arab. J. Chem. (2014) 1-6.
- Ertokuş and A. Aktas, Determination of the dissociation constant of some substituted phenols by potentiometric method in acetonitrile-water mixtures, SDU. J. Sci. (E-Journal) 5 (2010) 60-6.
- Comer and K. Box, High-Throughput measurement of drug pKa values for ADME screening, J. Lab. Autom. 8 (2003) 55.
- M. Brahmankar and S.B. Jaiswal, Biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics; 2nd Edition. Vallabh Prakashan, (2009) Delhi, 399-401.
- J. Sinko, Martins Physical Pharmacy and Pharmaceuticals sciences; 5th ed. Indian Eds, (2004).
- Lachman, H.A. Liebermanand J.L. Kanig, The theory and practice of industrial pharmacy; 3rded. Varghese publishing house, (1986).
- A. Beckett and J.B. Stenlake, Practical pharmaceutical chemistry; 4th ed. part one, CBS publishers and distributors pvtltd, (1963).
- Ravichandiran, V. Devarajan and K. Masilamani, Determination of ionization constant (pka) for poorly soluble drugs by using surfactants: A novel approach, J. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 3 (2011) 183-92.
- Q. Tong and G. Whitesell, In situ salt screening a useful technique for discovery support and performulation studies, Phram Dev. Technol. 3 (1998) 215-223.
- Avdeef, K.J. Box, J.E.A. Comer, M. Gilges, M. Hadley, C. Hibbert, W. Patterson and K.Y. Tam, pH-Metric Log P 11. pKa determination of water-insoluble drugs in organic solvent–water mixtures, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 20 (1999) 631-641.
- Gervasini and A. Auroux, Combined use of liquid calorimetry and spectrofluorimetry for the screening of the acidity oxide catalysts in different liquids. Thermochim. Acta 567 (2013) 8–14.
- M. Cabot, E. Fuguet, C. Ràfols and M. Rosés, Fast high-throughput method for the determination of acidity constants by capillary electrophoresis. II. Acidic internal standards. J. Chromatogr. A. 1217 (2010) 8340–8345.
- Hemmateenejad, A. Abbaspour, H. Maghami and A. Foroumadi, Spectrophotometric determination of acidity constants by two-rank annihilation factor analysis, Anal. Chim. Acta 607 (2008) 142–152.
- Shokrollahi, F. Zarghampour, S. Akbari and A. Salehi, Solution scanometry, a new method for determination of acidity constants of indicator, Anal. Methods 7 (2015) 3551–3558.
- Abbaspour, A. Khajehzadeh and A. Ghaffarinejad, A simple and cost-effective method, as an appropriate alternative for visible spectrophotometry: Development of a dopamine biosensor, Analyst 134 (2009) 1692–1698.
- Shokrollahi and N. Shokrollahi, Determination of Mn2+Ion by solution scanometry as a new simple and inexpensive method, Quim. Nova. 37 (2014) 1589–1593.
- Abbaspour, A. Khajehzadeh and A. Ghaffarinejad, Development of a new method based on scanner electrochemistry: Applied for the speciation of Iron (II) and Iron (III), Anal. Methods 3 (2011) 2268–2272.
- Abbaspour, H. Valizadeh and A. Khajehzadeh, A simple, fast and cost effective method detection and determination of dopaminein bovine serum, Anal. Methods 3 (2011) 1405–1409.
- Abbaspour, E. Talebanpour Bayat and E. Mirahmadi, A reliable and budget-friendly, solution-based analysis of multiple analytes of boiler water based on reflection scanometry, Anal. Methods 4 (2012) 1968–1975.
- Shokrollahi and T. Roozestan, CPE-scanometry as a new technique for The determination of dyes: Application for The determination of fast green FCF dye and comparison with spectrophotometric results, Anal. Methods 5 (2013) 4824–4831.
- Shokrollahi and F. Davoodi, Determination of violet covasol as a cosmetic dye in water samples by a CPE-scanometry method, Chin. Chem. Lett. 2016, Accepted.
- R. Zaggout, Encapsulation of bromocresol green pH indicator into a sol-gel matrix, J. Disper. Sci. Technol. 26 (2005) 757–61.
- Yamamoto and T. Harada, Water purification apparatus and its use in fuel cell power generation system, Chem. Abstr. 144 (2006) 381096.
- Nakamura, Multilayer sensor. J. p. n. Kokai Tokkyo Koho JP 2006090862. Chem.
- Diamond, KT. Lau, S. Brady, J. Cleary, Integration of analytical measurements and wireless communications– current issues and future strategies, Talanta 75 (2008) 606-612.
- M. Klotz, G.P. Royer and A.R. Sloniewsky, Macromolecule-small molecule interactions. Strong binding and cooperativity in a model synthetic polymer, Biochemistry 8 (1969) 4752–4756.
- Takagishi, K. Yoshikawa, H. Hamano, N. Kuroki and H. Kozuka, Binding of anthraquinone sulfonate by crosslinked vinylpyrrolidone divinylbenzene copolymers - template effect. J. Polym. Sci. A Polym. Chem. (1985) 545–548.
- Nandini and B. Vishalakshi, A spectrophotometrics of interaction between methyl orange and some polycations, J. Chem. 9 (2012) 1–14.
- A. Spiller, M.L. Winter, J.A. Weber, E.P. Krenzelok, D.L. Anderson and M.L. Ryan, Skin breakdown and blisters from senna-containing laxatives in young children, Ann. Pharmacother.37 (2003) 636–639.
- K. Dunnick and J.R. Hailey, Phenolphthalein exposure causes multiple carcinogenic effects in experimental model systems, Cancer Res.56 (1996) 4922–4926.
- R. Tice, M. Furedi-Machacek, D. Satterfield, A. Udumudi, M. Vasquez and J.K. Dunnick, Measurement of micronucleated erythrocytes and DNA damage during chronic ingestion of phenolphthalein in transgenic female mice heterozygous for the p53 gene, Environ. Mol. Mutagen. 31 (1998) 113–124.
- S. Cooper, M.P. Longnecker and R.K. Peters, Ovarian cancer risk and use of phenolphthalein-containing laxatives, Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 13 (2004) 35–39.
- Dobrydneva, E. Wilson, C.J. Abelt and P.F. Blackmore, Phenolphthalein as a prototype drug for a group of structurally related calcium channel blockers in human platelets, J. Cardiovasc Pharm.53 (2009) 231–240.
- Ravichandiran, V. Devarajan and K. Masilamani, Determination of ionization constant (pKa) for poorly soluble drugs by using surfactants: A novel approach. J. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 3 (2011) 183-192.
- N. Miller and J.C. Miller, Statistics and chemometrics for analytical chemistry. Pearson, England, (2010).
- W. Tobey, The acid dissociation constant of methyl red. J. Chem. Educ. 35 (1958) 514-515.